Peer Connections provides free small group, individual, and drop-in tutoring to matriculated San José State University (SJSU) students. Tutees can schedule appointments up to two weeks in advance or make same day appointments for a maximum of one hour (in most subjects). If a tutor is available, drop-ins are welcomed on a first-come, first-served basis. Group appointments are formed as tutees sign up for the same appointment time and course with the same tutor. Students are able to make up to 2 hours of appointments per week for the same course.
- I will arrive to my Peer Connections session on time. If I know I will be late, I
will call (408) 924-2587 and let the Welcome Desk Staff know when I will arrive and
why I am late.
- If I need to cancel my appointment, I will do so prior to 8:00 a.m. on the day of
the appointment by calling the Peer Connections Welcome Desk at (408) 924-2587. If
I call after 8:00 a.m. on the day of my appointment, do not show up, or arrive 5 minutes
after the start of my scheduled appointment, I will be considered a “no show.” If
I “no show” three times, I will be encouraged to meet with the Assistant Director
for Tutorial Programs and Student Development.
- I will always swipe in/swipe out between activities and appointments when using Peer
- I will wait in the reception area and only swipe in within 5 minutes of my scheduled
- I will not bring visitors to my mentoring/tutorial sessions. If I have a friend who
would like to join the session for his/her benefit, I will encourage that person to
sign up for a group session at the Welcome Desk.
- I will not have my cell phone on during a tutorial session, nor will I talk or text
on a cell phone while using Peer Connections' services.
- I will not bring food nor drink (unless in a twist cap or sport container) to Peer
- I will check and respond to my voice mail and/or e-mail correspondence from Peer Connections
in a timely and appropriate manner.
For Tutoring Sessions:
- I will not schedule (without approval from the Assistant Director) more than 1 tutorial
session in a row per day, no more than 2 hours per course per week, and no more than
four hours of tutoring per week.
- I will be prepared for each tutorial session. I will read the appropriate chapter(s)
and have questions prepared. I will have attended class and taken class notes to the
best of my ability.
- I will not expect my tutor to show me how to complete my homework. I can expect, however,
that my tutor will work with me to develop skills and strategies that will assist
me to understand the material taught by the course instructor.
- I understand that tutoring supplements instruction; it is not a substitute for class.
- I understand that tutoring is not a replacement for asking my professor questions
during her/his office hours.
- When working with a writing tutor, I will always bring a printout of my paper and
the assignment to the session.
For Mentoring Sessions:
- I understand that the peer mentor is not responsible for professional counseling,
major advising, and SJSU financial status information.
- I understand that the peer mentor will offer appropriate guidance and referrals; however,
it is ultimately my responsibility to determine the next course of action.
- I understand that the peer mentor does not provide tutoring services in course content.