Tips on Improving your Writing
- Schedule a specific time to sit down and write.
- Choose a place where you can concentrate and are most comfortable.
- Make sure that you understand the assignment. If not, ask your professor to explain it.
- Create an outline for your paper.
- Consider writing your introduction and conclusion last.
- Support your statements and opinions with facts and examples.
- Make sure your paragraphs relate to your thesis statement.
- Have clear topic sentences that explain the purpose of each paragraph.
- Vary sentence length.
- Have other people proofread your papers.
- Read your paper aloud to find errors.
- Cite your sources.
Special thanks to Johanna Mattern Allen at UWM.
Do you need more advice? Make an appointment with a Peer Tutor for Writing!