Note: For more specific questions, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What is a Peer Mentor?
- What does a Peer Mentor do?
- What can I discuss with a Peer Mentor?
- How can I get a Peer Mentor?
- If I want to become a Peer Mentor at Peer Connections, what do I do?
Q: What is a Peer Mentor?
A: Peer Mentors support students during their academic and social adjustment to SJSU.
Peer Mentors know how to refer students to appropriate campus resources in order to
navigate more easily through the university system. Peer Mentors work with individual
instructors/departments to develop smaller communities within SJSU that more actively
involve and engage students in their college experience.
Q: What does a Peer Mentor do?
A: A Peer Mentor:
- Actively listens and engages students in the process to become independent learners.
- Provides support to students that address their personal, social, and academic situations and skills development.
- Serves as an experienced guide and role model for students to successfully navigate the transition to the college process.
- Serves as a connecting link between students and the SJSU campus culture by providing
campus-related resources, information, and referrals.
Q: What can I discuss with a Peer Mentor?
A: You can discuss many topics with a Peer Mentor. Topics range from classroom struggles
to missing friends from high school. Peer Mentors have been through the college transition
and know some of the challenges you may be facing. Peer Mentors are also trained
to know when to ask for outside help and can assist you in doing so. Conversations
with Peer Mentors are confidential unless there is a danger to self or others.
Q: How can I get a Peer Mentor?
A: Peer Mentors are in a variety of classes, but if one is not in your class, you
can either drop-in to one of our locations and see if a Peer Mentor is available or
you can make an appointment by calling the Welcome Desk at 408-924-2587.
Q: If I want to become a Peer Mentor at Peer Connections, what do I do?
A: To become a Peer Mentor at Peer Connections, please see the employment section.