Request a Peer Educator in the Classroom
Apply for a Peer Educator in the Classroom
Each semester, a group of faculty members are selected to work with assigned Peer Educators. There are two types of Peer Educators who can assist in the classroom: Peer Mentors and Supplemental Instruction (SI) Leaders.
Peer Mentors are trained student leaders who provide guidance and resources for first-year students to navigate the college experience personally and academically. The Peer Mentors partner with the Faculty Mentors in order to promote college success within and beyond the classroom environment.
Responsibilities of a Classroom Peer Mentor
- attend the assigned class weekly
- meet with the Faculty Mentor at least once per month
- meet with students in individual sessions for study strategies, personal support, or campus referrals
- facilitate in-class activities, icebreakers, or discussions
- facilitate educational workshops
Supplemental Instruction (SI) Leaders
Supplemental Instruction (SI) Leaders support students who are enrolled in 'bottleneck' courses - subjects that are required but that also have a higher failure rate, such that a student who receives a failing grade may have delayed progress in their major. SI Leaders facilitate workshops and study sessions outside of the regularly scheduled class time. These sessions are focused on active student involvement and incorporate both content and learning strategies.
Responsibilities of an SI Leader
- attend the assigned lecture weekly
- facilitate at least two study sessions per week which focus on the potentially challenging aspects of the course lectures
- host additional review sessions before midterms and finals
- if agreed upon between the SI Leader and the faculty member, SI Leaders may assist with activities during the class time
Faculty Criteria & Requirements
Depending on the number of available Peer Educators each semester, Peer Connections cannot guarantee or provide every faculty applicant with an assigned Peer Educator. Based on experience and feedback, Classroom Peer Mentors work best with Faculty Mentors who agree to meet the Faculty Mentor Requirements (.pdf) and who fulfill the following criteria:
- demonstrate familiarity or previous experience with the Peer Mentor role
- teach classes that enroll predominantly first-year students
- promote the first-year experience in the course (i.e. campus resources, study strategies for college success, personal development, etc.)
- teach classes that facilitate student interaction and discussion
Faculty wishing to work with an SI Leader must teach a 'bottleneck' course to be eligible. Additionally, faculty working with an SI Leader must meet the Faculty Requirements for Supplemental Instruction (.pdf) and are strongly encouraged to use our Best Practices (.pdf).
If you are interested in partnering with Peer Connections in your classroom, please click here to apply for Fall 2017. If you have questions about working with a Peer Educator, please contact Deanna Peck at Deanna.Peck@sjsu.edu or (408) 924-2587.