Peer Connections supports students through tutoring, mentoring, supplemental instruction,
and student success workshops in an inclusive, welcoming environment. It serves as
a university-wide resource for the promotion of peer learning and retention.
Peer Connections is committed to educating, retaining, and graduating students by assisting them in their holistic development at San José State University. Our team empowers students to become self-directed learners and active global citizens.
Peer Connections strives to be the hub of peer learning at San José State. By developing peer leaders, supporting students, collaborating with faculty and staff on peer learning projects, and conducting undergraduate research, we aim to devise innovative approaches to peer education and expand the base of knowledge about peer learning for all.
Learning Outcomes for Students
- Students become independent, taking ownership of their own learning and development.
- Students develop effective study strategies and organizational skills.
- Students increase competence in the areas in which they are seeking assistance.
- Students expand their metacognitive abilities, including an understanding of how they learn.
- Students learn and demonstrate critical thinking abilities, identifying problems, analyzing and evaluating solutions, and making sound decisions with use of quality information.
- Students demonstrate that they can find and utilize available campus resources.
- Students persist and graduate.
Learning Outcomes for Peer Educators
- Peer educators augment their metacognitive abilities, including deepening their understanding of how they and others learn.
- Peer educators strengthen their interpersonal and communication skills, enhancing their ability to collaborate.
- Peer educators gain intrapersonal awareness and confidence in themselves as students, professionals, and people.
- Peer educators demonstrate sensitivity to and appreciation for diverse perspectives, experiences, and human differences.
- Peer educators exhibit critical thinking abilities by identifying problems, analyzing and evaluating solutions, and making sound decisions with use of quality information.
- Peer educators expand their knowledge of available campus resources for themselves and their peers.
- Peer educators learn and utilize best practices from the fields of academic support and student development.
- Peer educators are engaged and committed to the program and the larger SJSU community.